Professional Golf Tour of India (PGTI), the controlling body for professional golf in India, was formed in September of 2006. Mr. Srinivasan H R is the President of PGTI.
With over 300 members today, PGTI has a Governing Board comprising leading Indian golf professionals and eminent personalities, and corporates as patrons. PGTI’s objective is to promote professional golf in the country, and create more competitive playing opportunities for its members.
PGTI is recognized as a ‘body by the players for the players’, and operates in the same manner as most other international professional tours. PGTI is the ideal platform for Indian golfers to hone their skills, enhance their careers, and finally go on to compete at the highest level in the European and US tours.
The PGTI in a short span of three years, gained recognition from the European Tour and the Asian Tour. It was also inducted as a member of the prestigious ‘International Federation of PGA Tours’ and acknowledged worldwide as the official sanctioning body of professional golf in India.
The foundation has now been firmly established to continue the growth with a strong, positive trend and help Indian players excel in the international arena.
Leading Indian and international brands are looking at partnering with PGTI to leverage the extensive electronic and print media coverage of the PGTI. PGTI’s strategic tie-up with Rolex saw this respected international brand come on board as the 'Official Timekeeper'.
In 2018, the PGTI became an 'Open Tour' with no restriction on the number of foreigners allowed to participate in PGTI events.
In 2019, PGTI joined the list of the elite tours of the world as it was included in the Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR) system. All PGTI events offered OWGR points from 2019 onward. This made a huge positive impact on the tour’s international stature and competitiveness.
PGTI took another giant leap in 2019 when global steel giant TATA Steel came on board as the tour’s 'Umbrella Partner' through a three-year deal. TATA Steel has had a long and enduring commitment to Indian sport and its association with PGTI will help the tour scale new heights.
In December 2022, PGTI announced its partnership with the DP World Tour and PGA TOUR which included a commitment to developing golf in India and a pathway for the country’s top players to reach the highest levels of the men’s professional game.
The strategic partnership will provide a range of benefits for PGTI members, with the DP World Tour and PGA TOUR working with the PGTI on other key business areas, including strategic development and commercial growth, as well as a joint commitment to increasing prize money for a host of PGTI tournaments.
In January 2023, Mr. Srinivasan H R took over as President of PGTI from Mr. Gautam Thapar.
PGTI is now looking to further strengthen its partnerships with public and private stakeholders, and remains committed to taking the sport of golf to the masses and across the country.
- In September 2006, Mr. Gautam Thapar was elected President of the Professional Golf Tour of India.
- Under Mr. Thapar’s strategic leadership, prize money on the Indian tour grows by over 250% in three years.
- Long-term partnership signed with Rolex.
- In June 2009, Mr. Thapar accepted an invitation to become a Board Member of the Asian Tour.
- In July 2009, PGTI inducted into the ‘International Federation of PGA Tours’, the highest governing body for professional golf in the world.
- In 2018, the PGTI became an 'Open Tour'.
- In 2019, PGTI became a part of the 'Official World Golf Ranking' (OWGR) system.
- In February 2019, three-year partnership signed with TATA Steel.
- In December 2022, PGTI announced a strategic partnership with the DP World Tour and PGA Tour.
- In January 2023, Mr. Srinivasan H R took over as the President of PGTI.