About the PGTI
Professional Golf Tour of India (PGTI), the controlling body for professional golf in India, was formed in September of 2006. Mr.Gautam Thapar, Chairman & CEO, Avantha Group is President of PGTI.
With over 300 members today, PGTI has a Governing Board comprising leading Indian golf professionals and eminent personalities, and corporates as patrons. PGTI’s objective is to promote professional golf in the country, and create more competitive playing opportunities for its members.
PGTI is recognized as a ‘body by the players for the players’, and operates in the same manner as most other international professional tours. PGTI is the ideal platform for Indian golfers to hone their skills, enhance their careers, and finally go on to compete at the highest level in the European and US tours.
Under the strategic leadership of Mr. Thapar, PGTI has, in a short span of three years, gained recognition from the European Tour and the Asian Tour. It has also been inducted as a member of the prestigious ‘International Federation of PGA Tours’ and is acknowledged worldwide as the official sanctioning body of professional golf in India.
The foundation has now been firmly established to continue the growth with a strong, positive trend and help Indian players excel in the international arena.
With media partner Ten Golf aggressively promoting golf, leading Indian and international brands are looking at partnering with PGTI to leverage the extensive electronic and print media coverage. PGTI’s strategic tie-ups with TaylorMade and Volvo add value to their extensive portfolios, while a five-year deal with Rolex sees this respected international brand come on board as the 'Official Timekeeper'.
PGTI is now looking to further strengthen its partnerships with public and private stakeholders, and remains committed to taking the sport of golf to the masses and across the country.
- September 2006, Mr.Gautam Thapar is elected President of the Professional Golf Tour of India.
- Under Mr.Thapar’s strategic leadership, prize money on the Indian tour grows by over 250% in three years.
- Long-term partnerships signed with Aircel, CNBC Sport18, TaylorMade and Rolex.
- June 2009, Mr.Thapar accepts invitation to become a Board Member of the Asian Tour.
- July 2009, PGTI inducted into the ‘International Federation of PGA Tours’, the highest governing body for professional golf in the world.